My career as an editor began decades ago when I taught creative writing to high school students. Each semester, the students would publish an anthology of their work in a magazine. It was my job to see those kids didn’t embarrass me!
While I considered myself a writer, I continued editing as I began a career as a journalist. I edited articles for the editor who was too busy dealing with the headaches of a small town newspaper. This led me to work as an editor-in-chief on several newspapers and magazines. As I began writing novels, I met other writers who often needed an editor. Since 2000, I’ve helped other writers bring their books to publication.
All of the editing jobs I’ve held over the years required different skill sets, which means I’m accustomed to adapting to the needs of clients. The services I offer are the ones I seek in my editors for my own work.
Yes, I have editors for my writing. Everyone needs an editor, no matter the level of experience, expertise, and mastery of the craft. I hope you’ll take a look at my credentials and endorsements, and consider using me as your editor or coach. It would be my privilege.
FLORIDA FISH AND WILDLIFE CONSERVATION COMMISSION, Tallahassee, Florida
Public Relations Director (2007-2011)
- Hired to handle media relations statewide. Wrote magazine articles for Florida Wildlife and served as senior editor for magazine, news releases and other materials. Handled media and public issues from the first phone call from a resident to the final execution of rule approval by the full Commission. Coordinated and ran press room during Commission meetings five times per year.
- Promoted to handle all public and media relations for one of the largest divisions in the agency, Habitat and Species Conservation. Created new position within the agency to cross divisional lines between Community Relations and scientists and researchers. Provided creative and quick responses to crisis situations in all sixty-seven counties of Florida. Collaborated with regional public information coordinators, law enforcement and scientists. Implemented effective statewide messages, bringing public awareness of conservation issues. Directed and created graphic projects from brochures to posters to media kits. Wrote scripts for and produced video news releases. Planned and executed media-focused events. Served as communications expert on several teams created to implement agency-wide strategies. Co-chaired climate change communications team. Chosen by supervisors to replace director of Community Relations.
TOWER PUBLICATIONS, INC., Gainesville, Florida
Hired by publisher based on proven track record of building a publication from nothing to a profit-making enterprise. Created an editorial department within an advertising agency to add credibility to two publications in regional circulation. Boosted circulation by 25,000 total in both magazines, which began winning national editorial awards within a year of taking over as editor. Supervised staff of twenty-five writers and editors. Created and implemented an editorial calendar, editorial standards and a Best Practices manual for both editorial and advertising departments.
THE OBSERVER, High Springs, Florida
Publisher and editor (2003-2005)
Created, designed and produced a 5,000-circulation monthly newspaper with fifty percent advertising space. Sold after two years for a substantial profit. The newspaper, with the same design, focus, and theme elements, is still in publication today.
FREELANCE WRITER, Florida
Writer, editor and seminar instructor (1998-present)
Published five novels and four nonfiction books; worked as a reporter for several newspapers, published many articles in local, state and national publications, winning several awards. Wrote a book on a historical state park for Florida’s Department of Environmental Protection. Designed, wrote and taught several writing seminars attended by dozens of aspiring writers.
- Designed and formatted six books for Kindle.
- Designed, formatted and created covers for seven books in CreateSpace.
- Designed and formatted three books for Smashwords.
- Edited several full-length novels and various smaller works on a freelance basis.
- Write three blogs and offer writing advice and writer’s platform on those blogs.
SCHOOL BOARD OF ALACHUA COUNTY, Gainesville, Florida
English teacher (1984-2001)
Taught English, including Advanced Placement (college-level courses), wrote practice manuals for teachers, served on state education committees, and taught writing strategies to other English teachers within the county school system. Served as faculty relations liaison for the teachers’ union with administration and served on team for salary negotiations.
B.S. in English and Social Studies, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI, 1978
2008 Award for Column, Association of Free Community Papers
2008 Award for Feature Article, Community Papers of Florida
2007 Award for Serious Column, Florida Press Association
2007 Award for Humorous Column, Florida Press Association
2006 Award for Editorial, Association of Free Community Papers
2005 First Place Mainstream Fiction from Promoting Outstanding Writers
2002 Award for Serious Column, Florida Press Association
2002 Second Place Award in Community Service, Florida Press Association
2001 First Place Award Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings Essay Contest
2001 First Place for Serious Column, Florida Press Association